So we’re less than 2 weeks away from our quick Italian trip! We’ve got the flights booked, the internal train tickets booked. We’ve finally booked the Rome hotel, but we haven’t got hotels booked for Florence or Venice yet.
What to choose? As my wifey will testify – I luurrrvveee doing research. Too much research really. When we went on our Summer holiday adventure around the globe, we did massive amounts of research on www.tripadvisor.com and it was well worth it. There are so many reviews on there!
But you have to be a little careful – here’s what I usually do:
- I usually read a few pages worth of reviews to see what the general feel is like.
- When listing all the hotels, I also look at how many reviews each got – it may be that a hotel is “ranked” higher because there were less reviews for it.
- I also make an effort to check reviews on other sites, or especially dedicated commercial travel sites.
- Checking the user submitted photos is also worthwhile, just to get a feel for the decor – but that’s not too important for us for this trip as we’re not planning to spend huge amounts of time in the room.
- Lastly, tripadvisor has an excellent Google maps mashup – you can view all the hotels ordered by rating on a Google map and be able to filter by price and availability! This is extremely useful!
So for our Italy getaway, we checked tripadvisor (much to the dismay of our travel agent!). Since our trip is so short, we really wanted to stay where all the action was. So for Rome, we eventually decided on Albergo del Senato – located right next to the Pantheon.
For Florence, we haven’t decided yet, but it looks like Hotel Davanzati is a go-er. And for Venice? That’s research for tomorrow night.