I know.. I know.. I sometimes justify the whole SLR route of photography to my wifey saying that I’ll never have to upgrade the SLR body – I will just spend money on lenses. But the camera gods keep coming out with new fandangled SLR bodies that I really want!
Last year I upgraded from my Nikon D70 to a D80. At the time I did think it was a bit indulgent as I didn’t really push the D70 to the extremes. But when I’ve had to use them both side by side for some shoots, I really notice the key differences – in particular, the larger brighter viewfinder, the 10MP vs 6MP, the larger 2.5 inch LCD screen.
But now Nikon has announced the D90 model. It has a whole slew of new features that I’m not sure I’d use (like Live shoot mode, Movie mode), but I’m really lusting over these particular features:
- 3 inch LCD at the back that’s the same as the D3 – I really notice the difference when reviewing photos on the D80 compared to the D70. This is even bigger with 4 times as many pixels. It should make reviewing images on the camera even easier.
- The same high image quality as the D3 using Nikon’s latest Expeed technology – don’t need to save up for a D3/D300 now
- Big improvements in low light sensitivity (less noise at higher ISOs, and up to ISO 3200) – I love shooting using existing light, large apertures and high ISOs (read – anti-strobist!). Anything to reduce noise is good.
- Buit in image sensor cleaning – I get scared everytime I take my Giotto Rocket Air Blower to my D80’s CCD. It’s about time Nikon introduced this capability into the camera itself.
- 12.3 MP – more isn’t necessarily better, but it means getting good resolutions after cropping easier
So, wifey (or any other relative looking to buy me a present) – if you’re reading this – I’d love to see one of these under the tree for Xmas! hahahaha..
More info here:
Ken Rockwell’s D90 Review – http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm
Digital Photography Review’s D90 Review – http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/
Nikon’s Page on the D90 – http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25446/D90.html