A few years ago, I bought my Dad a Garmin Nuvi 260W GPS. It was a good GPS in its day – but I think now its interface is a little basic.
Well, it seemed to be working fine for my Dad until he wanted to go to some place up in Landsdale. And for some reason, the Garmin GPS just did not want to navigate to a specific address up there. It was as if the address did not exist. Actually, it seemed like there were only 2 or 3 addresses on Landsdale Road! What happened to all the other houses and businesses?
I thought that it would be a good time to update the maps on his GPS. Luckily, when I registered the Nuvi, we were informed that he could get one free map upgrade! Awesome! (Although, I was thinking – shouldn’t EVERYONE get free map upgrades for their GPS? I’m somehow getting free updates for my TomTom GPS on the iPhone. Aarghh, it seems that some recent purchasers do get free lifetime map upgrades – http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Automotive/Navigation/E3S5J9V3)
So, the GPS was connected, I pressed the buttons to update the map, but no.. I got an error message saying that there wasn’t enough memory!
I’m scouring the net trying to figure out how to get around this.
There was some text on the Garmin website that said “In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the same map Data originally included with your Garmin product (or purchased separately, as the case may be), in which case you will need to select reduced map Data coverage for your updates.”
Unfortunately, when going through the screens to download the maps, I only have one choice – full coverage of Australian and New Zealand!
In a similar thread on the Garmin website, someone seemed to indicate that the software will assist you in freeing up some space – but I didn’t see any prompt like this, maybe it’s for the Windows version only?
Some other posts on the net start delving into removing or moving files off the GPS. And I started playing around with this. One useful thing about the Nuvi is that the files inside it appear as a USB drive. So I could see that it only had 33MB free of 250MB. Not good.
I first copied ALL the files over to my laptop, and then progressed to deleting off Voice and Text files for languages that my Dad wouldn’t need and deleting off the example images in the JPEG folder. I might have even deleted the gmapprom.img and gmapprom.sum files (the pre-loaded maps).
And then it was all OK! The update worked fine. The GPS still booted up and had maps on it.
And it found the weird address in Landsdale that my Dad was looking for.
So, if you’re having problems updating maps – check out how much free space there is left in your GPS, take a backup (copy) of everything on there, clear out unnecessary files, and google “gmapprom.img” if you need to move the pre-loaded maps off.